My Incus Migration from LXD

In my last tutorial “Convert LXD Server to Incus” we converted my LXD desktop instance to Incus. This time, I convert both of my production LXD servers (vmsmist & vmsrain) to Incus. After three years of focusing on LXD, the ScottiBYTE channel forks to Incus.

Log into your LXD Server with ssh (substitute your IP address of your LXD server with n.n.n.n):

ssh n.n.n.n

Change to the root user:

sudo su

Make a folder to hold the installation key(s) (the -p creates the path only if it doesn’t exist):

mkdir -p /etc/apt/keyrings/

Download the Incus key to the folder we just created.

curl -fsSL https://pkgs.zabbly.com/key.asc -o /etc/apt/keyrings/zabbly.asc

Add the repository for Incus using the keys. Cut and paste the entire code segment into your terminal and press enter.

sh -c 'cat <<EOF > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zabbly-incus-stable.sources
Enabled: yes
Types: deb
URIs: https://pkgs.zabbly.com/incus/stable
Suites: $(. /etc/os-release && echo ${VERSION_CODENAME})
Components: main
Architectures: $(dpkg --print-architecture)
Signed-By: /etc/apt/keyrings/zabbly.asc

EOF'

Update the repositories.

apt update

Install incus:

apt install incus -y

Exit the root account:

exit

Put your user into the incus-admin group and verify its there:

sudo usermod -aG incus-admin scott
newgrp incus-admin
groups

Now we are ready to convert the LXD Server to an Incus Server with the following command:

sudo lxd-to-incus

As you can see above this failed and I had to remove the indicated key before proceeding with the conversion by entering the following command:

lxc config unset core.trust_password

Then we try the conversion again. I answered “yes” to proceed and “yes” to uninstall the LXD package:

sudo lxd-to-incus

Note: LXD Dashboard does not support Incus servers. You must install LXConsole if you want a great GUI to manage your server by following my tutorial entitled “LXConsole: The New LXD Dashboard”.

In the video, I performed the same steps above to migrate vmsrain to incus.

I ran into an issue where after the vmsrain conversion my Incus win11 VM would not boot due to different sound support in Incus. I fixed the issue with the following command:

incus config set win11 raw.qemu -- "-device intel-hda -device hda-duplex -audio spice"

I was then able to start and access the Incus VM for Windows:

incus start win11 --console=vga