FreshRSS for Aggregation - Web Based RSS Feeds

Really Simple Syndication (RSS) is a web feed that allows users and applications to access updates to websites using a standard format. FreshRSS is a web-based RSS web aggregator that offers a way to aggregate the information that you value and a way to consolidate it in a single web instance.

The advantage to this is that you don’t have to install an RSS client on all of your devices since this is web based. This is a simple docker application.

I created a LXD container in the video. Note that I put all my web based apps on a special VLAN which is vlan 80. Watch my other tutorials to learn about VLANs and LXD:

lxc launch ubuntu:22.04 FreshRSS --profile default --profile vlan80 -c boot.autostart=true -c security.nesting=true

Enter the LXD container console:

lxc exec FreshRSS bash

Upgrade the container:

apt update && apt upgrade -y

Install docker and docker-compose:

curl https://get.docker.com | sh
apt install docker-compose

Add a user account:

adduser scott

Grant the user account sudo and docker:

usermod -aG sudo scott
usermod -aG docker scott

Move over to the account:

su - scott

Create a folder for the application and move into it:

mkdir freshrss
cd freshrss

Edit a docker compose file:

nano docker-compose.yml

Insert the following in the file and update the timezone, and your PID/UID accordingly. You may also want to adjust the port number on the left side of the port statement if port 80 is already used on your system. Pro tip: If you dedicate a LXD container to this app, you won’t have to worry about the port.

version: "2.1"
services:
  freshrss:
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/freshrss:latest
    container_name: freshrss
    environment:
      - PUID=1001
      - PGID=1001
      - TZ=America/Chicago
    volumes:
      - ./config:/config
    ports:
      - 80:80
    restart: unless-stopped

Save the file with a CTRL O and Enter to write it out and a CTRL X to exit the editor.

Start the app:

docker compose up -d

Go to the address of your docker host in your browser and the port number you specified in the docker compose file. You should see the FreshRSS Installation dialogue:

Click submit after choosing your language on the screen pictured above. This will take you to the next screen that verifies the installation components.

At the bottom of the screen pictured above, click “Go to the Next Step” and you will see the following screen. Leave the database at SQLLite and click “Submit” on that screen:

On this next screen, designate a username and password for your administrative account:

On the last screen, simply click “Complete Installation”.

You will then be presented with the login screen where you can use your credentials:

At this point you will see the initial screen:

Finally, you can go to subscription management and add your own RSS Feeds also:

Watch the video for details on how you add your own RSS feeds. You can also add an NginX Proxy Manager record if you want to access the app from outside your network. This is covered on many other videos on the channel.